Let The Games Begin

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Gettysburg Trip 2014

I went last year and learned some valuable lessons that I thought I would share.

  1. Do not go alone - I did last year, and while I had a great time alone, and it would have been awesome to have to have some folks to share in an adventure with.
  2. Don't camp in mid-July - Gettysburg is hot and humid in July.. Also, taking the right size tent is a must.  
  3. Go to a museum - Last year I went to the new Seminary Ridge Museum, the new visitors center and cyclorama, and the Eisenhower Farm. This year I want to also go to the Dale Gallon Studio in downtown Gburg.
  4. Hire a Licensed Battlefield Guide - I do this every time I go. Can get a little pricey but so well worth it.
  5. Take advantage of the Rangers programs - These are free guided tours and are excellent. And everyone should do the Cemetery Tour.
  6. Carry plenty of water with you
  7. Eat well - Stay away from the trappings of the oh too convenient McDonalds




I am going to go again this year but I have not picked a date yet. I will leave late on a Wednesday night and plan to arrive early on Thursday morning. I plan on coming home sometime on Saturday. If you want to go we need to start picking a date. If you want to go let me know soon.

What say you men?


No comments: