Let The Games Begin

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Geheimes Deutschland


I went and saw Valkyrie today. I have to start off with saying I do not remember sitting through a movie that was as intense, for as long a period time as this one. Once I got past the lack of Germans in a movie about Nazi Germany I really enjoyed this movie. An excellent cast surrounds Tom Cruise as he gives his best performance in a long time. He doesn't over act and plays the character well.

I wonder if there is a name around the world that invokes more emotion than that of Adolph Hitler? The movie starts with Cruise's character in North Africa where he is writing of dislike for Hitler and his plan. Suffering major injuries he ends up in Germany and the assassination plot comes to him. You guys know I don't give much away in my reviews but one thing this movie is sadly lacking is some background on Claus von Stauffenberg
One thing that bothered me was the down playing of Stauffenberg's religion. I'm not sure if that was done by Cruise or the director but I think they should have added a little more about that. Something I really liked in this movie was that there were some Germans who did try to eliminate Hitler and stand up and be viable members of the human race. This is easily Tom Cruise's best movie in a very, very long time. I would love to go see it again with any of you guys that would want to go. I give it 3 Floyds.

On a side note, circle March 6, 2009, on your calendars and maybe we can go to the Opening Night of The Watchmen.



No comments: